Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Plans for supporting TextFormattingMode (WPF 4.0) ?
posted

I'm still evaluating xamDataGrid for a project that won't ship for a few months....

One concern I have is, how good does text look in small sizes.  There is a known issue where WPF's text rendering doesn't look very good at small sizes.  Text can be fuzzy and uneven looking.  Microsoft is working on providing an alternative mode of text rendering, which will look better at small sizes.  Details can be found in this blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/text/archive/2009/08/24/wpf-4-0-text-stack-improvements.aspx

Basically it will be possible to specify a different rendering mode which will snap to pixel boundaries, resulting in text that looks crisp even at small sizes.

TextOptions.TextFormattingMode="Display"

But that's for WPF 4.0. 

Has Infragistics looked into this? Do you have a plan to support this - a timetable, maybe? 

We might want to ship our product in June.  Do you anticipate that there would be a version of xamDataGrid that would support this new rendering option, well before June?

Or, hmm.  Now I'm wondering if we could take advantage of this new rendering option, when it comes out, even with the current xamDataGrid.  It looks like MS is adding a TextFormattingMode property.  I've dabbled in reflection;  theoretically, I could write some reflection code to see if the TextOptions class has a TextFormattingMode property, and if it does exist, then I could use reflection to set that property.  I think.  Right?   If that's the case then maybe I'd be able to take advantage of this new font rendering option, even without a new version of xamDataGrid.   Seems kludgy, but possible. 

But I'm not sure where I would set that property.  If my app uses xamDataGrid, then will I even be able to get access to the TextOptions object, so I can do reflection code on it? 

Parents
No Data
    Suggested Answer
    Offline posted

I don't think that anything needs to be changed in our controls for you to use this. As described in that article TextFormattingMode is an attached property so just as they set that on the StackPanel and it affects all the descendant text rendering elements in their example you could set it on any element (including the xamDataPresenter) and have it affect all the descendant elements (i.e. its an attached inherited property).

Children