Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Can a XamDockManager be used to make a wpf mdi parent?
posted

Hey,

I have a win forms app that uses an mdi parent form.  It's not the same feel as something like Word or as something like visual studio.  It's a bunch of varying forms that float inside of the parent.

To convert this to wpf I was thinking I could just convert each form over as a wpf user control.  Each menu option could create the corresponding user control, put it in a content pane, then add it to the XamDockManager as a "document".  The user could then use the tabs to navigate through the different screens or could move/dock/float them around to arrange them.

Is this approach sound like a valid use of the XamDockManager?  I want to have my screens in one "shell", but I also want it to be intuitive to the user.  The docking/sizing piece feels awkward (do the user controls stay centered or resize to fill the visible region?).  Also, hitting ctrl-tab within the dock manager and seeing a screen listed as a "file" feels awkward.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Parents Reply Children