Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Questions about constraints of summary tasks/subtasks
posted

Hello,

I have three questions about constraints in combination with parent/child relationships. Here is the situation:

Add a task to an empty gantt view. Ensure the constraint is set to 'Start No Earlier Than' and set the constraint date somewhere past the start date of the project. Add a sub-task. Notice that the constraint of the first task task changes to 'As Soon As Possible'. It's possible that this is by design, but I can't find any documentation on that.

Question 1: Is it possible to not have this behaviour (at least when I'm adding the tasks by code)? I retrieve tasks from a database, so constraints should not automatically change when I add them to the gantt view. A work around is to store the constraint of the first task, then add the child, and then restore the constraint of the first task. But this is not a nice solution.

The situation for the second question:

Set the constraint of the first task again to 'Start No Earlier Than' and the constraint date somewhere past the start date of the project. Now add another sub-task a child of the second task. The constraint of the first task doesn't change, but the constraint of the second task does (like in my first question). Now the third task starts at the start date of the project, although both that task and it's grandparent has a constraint set to a date in the future.

Question 2: Why is the start date not the same as the constraint date? When I change the constraint date of the third task manually, the start date does follow it. So I think this might be a bug.

Last situation:

Set the constraint of the third task to 'As Soon As Possible'. The constraint date of the grand parent is not followed.

Question 3: Why does the grand child ignore that constraint? How can I make sure the grandchild doesn't start before the grandparent's constraint? Note that it works fine if the direct parent has a constraint set.

I'm using version 10.3.20103.2145.

Parents Reply Children