Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
WinChart doesn't show up in form area of VS2008 designer
posted

Some Infragistics controls like WinChart and WinGrid are not displayed properly in the Visual Studio 2008 Designer.
When I drag i.e. a WinGrid from the Toolbox on my Form and drop it there the WinGrid will be shown as a symbol with a name on the bottom of the Designer window in a separate area (below the actual form area). I am not the only one in my company who experienced this problem. My working mate had the same problem but he could solve it with a complete de- and re-install of your product. I tried the same but the problem still exists.

I hope you have a solution for this problem already.
Best regards, Gerald

Parents
    Offline posted

it sounds like you don't have the Design assembly in your GAC, which explains why an uninstall/reinstall fixes the problem.  it could also be the dlls copied locally in your application's "bin" folder, which causes problems at design time.  there could be other causes to this problem, though.

try attaching another instance of visual studio to debug this problem.  that is,

1: open another instance of VS.

2: select Tools > Attach To Process... and select "devenv.exe" to attach to that process.  make sure "Managed Code" is checked.

3: in the Debug > Exceptions dialog, make sure you are set to break on all managed code exceptions.

4: in the Tools > Options dialog, under Debugging, make sure "Break when exceptions cross AppDomain boundaries" is checked.

5: go back to the first instance of visual studio and reproduce the problem by adding a chart or grid to your form.

the debugging instance should break at some point when visual studio throws an exception - most likely you will have a FileNotFoundException due to a missing assembly in your GAC, but whatever error you see should be a big help.

Reply Children