Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Creating Windows Handle Error
posted

I am getting this error on occasion throughout the day.  I dont even know where to begin to solve or figure out where this is coming from. 

Thoughts?   I see the infragistics wineditors in the errors...    I am using 10.3 windows

Roger

Application Domain:    Axeium.exe
Assembly Codebase:     file://chcsql01/CCProNETFiles/Axeium/DeployFolder/Axeium.exe
Assembly Full Name:    Axeium, Version=3.0.4663.28642, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Assembly Version:      3.0.4663.28642
Assembly Build Date:   10/7/2012 4:54:44 PM

Exception Source:      System.Windows.Forms
Exception Type:        System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
Exception Message:     Error creating window handle.
Exception Target Site: CreateHandle

---- Stack Trace ----
   System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CreateHandle(cp As CreateParams)
       Axeium.exe: N 00784
   System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
       Axeium.exe: N 00292
   System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Handle()
       Axeium.exe: N 00068
   System.Windows.Forms.Control.PointToClientInternal(p As Point)
       Axeium.exe: N 00081
   System.Windows.Forms.Control.PointToClient(p As Point)
       Axeium.exe: N 00013
   Infragistics.Win.UltraWinEditors.StyleUtils.IsHottracking(ctrl As Control)
       Axeium.exe: N 00082
   Infragistics.Win.UltraWinEditors.TextEditorControlBase.ResolveAppearance(appearance As AppearanceData&, requestedProps As AppearancePropFlags&, includeNullTextAppearance As Boolean)
       Axeium.exe: N 00125
   Infragistics.Win.UltraWinEditors.TextEditorControlBase.ResolveAppearance(appearance As AppearanceData&, requestedProps As AppearancePropFlags&)
       Axeium.exe: N 00010
   Infragistics.Win.UltraWinEditors.EditorWithComboOwner.ResolveAppearance(ownerContext As Object, appearance As AppearanceData&, requestedProps As AppearancePropFlags&, area As EmbeddableEditorArea, hotTracking As Boolean, customArea As String)
       Axeium.exe: N 00128
   Infragistics.Win.EditorWithTextAndDropDownUIElementBase.InitAppearance(appearance As AppearanceData&, requestedPropFlags As AppearancePropFlags&)
       Axeium.exe: N 00273
   Infragistics.Win.EmbeddableUIElementBase.InitAppearanceInternal(appearance As AppearanceData&, requestedProps As AppearancePropFlags&)
       Axeium.exe: N 00013
   Infragistics.Win.EmbeddableTextBox.ApplyAppearance()
       Axeium.exe: N 00124
   Infragistics.Win.EditorWithCombo.Infragistics.Win.IValueListOwner.OnSelectedItemChanged()
       Axeium.exe: N 00390
   Infragistics.Win.ValueList.ProcessSelectedIndexChanged(selectedIndex As Int32, commit As Boolean)
       Axeium.exe: N 00032
   Infragistics.Win.ValueList.set_SelectedIndex(value As Int32)
       Axeium.exe: N 00108
   Infragistics.Win.BindableValueList.SetDataSource(value As Object, notify As Boolean)
       Axeium.exe: N 00260
   Infragistics.Win.BindableValueList.OnDispose()
       Axeium.exe: N 00043
   Infragistics.Shared.DisposableObject.Dispose()
       Axeium.exe: N 00017
   Infragistics.Win.UltraWinEditors.UltraComboEditor.DisposeValueList()
       Axeium.exe: N 00254
   Infragistics.Win.UltraWinEditors.UltraComboEditor.Dispose(disposing As Boolean)
       Axeium.exe: N 00033
   System.ComponentModel.Component.Finalize()
       Axeium.exe: N 00020

Parents
No Data
    Suggested Answer
    Offline posted

Hi Roger,

This call stack is very interesting. It starts off with the Finalize method on component. So it's disposing the UltraComboEditor.

My guess is that you probably have an UltraComboEditor on a form and that form was shown and then subsequently closed, but not explicitly disposed. So the garbage collector is cleaning it up.

So as part of the dispose process, it's setting it's DataSource to null, which clears the ValueList. This clears the value in the control and causes it to try to refresh it's appearance. This leads to a call to see if the control is currently HotTracking, which calls PointToClient and that's causing the control's Handle to be recreated - which should not happen during a dispose.

Are you able to duplicate this in a sample project so we can check it out?

If I am right, then one potential workaround would be to set the DataSource on the UltraComboEditor to null before you close the form.

Children