Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Excess CPU usage by UltraGrid
posted

I have a UltraGrid to which i continously insert rows at the rate of 15rows/sec,  The grid has 50 rows and 14 columns, there is a datatable which am assigning to the datasource propery of the Grid and every time i create a new datarow and insert it to the datatable and then move it to the required postion in the grid.

Code is as follows

//m_dtMessagesView is my datatable

DataRow row = m_dtMessagesView.NewRow();

// here is the code to assign values to each column of new datarow i.e. row

m_dtMessagesView.Rows.InsertAt(row, 0);

int listIndex = m_dtMessagesView.Rows.IndexOf(row);

UltraGridRow ultraRow =

this.Rows.GetRowWithListIndex(listIndex);

if (this.DisplayLayout.Bands[0].Columns[4].SortIndicator == SortIndicator.Descending)

this.Rows.Move(ultraRow, 0);

This causes excessive CPU usage of 50% at the rate of insertion mentioned above.

I have also used BeginUpdate and EndUpdate as told Infragistic performance Guide. I tried inserting rows without any values to the column, which also had the same CPU usage.

Thanks in advance,

Vinay

Parents
    Suggested Answer
    Offline posted

Hi Vinay,

Inserting a moving rows like this is going to cause the grid to have to do a lot of processing. BeginUpdate and EndUpdate should make a difference, since that will stop the grid from painting, but that only helps if you can use them around a block that adds more than one row.

You can also make this more efficient by suspending row synchronization.

grid.BeginUpdate();

grid.SuspendRowSynchronization();

try

{

// insert 15 rows and position them in the grid.

}

finally

{

grid.ResumeRowSynchronization();

grid.EndUpdate();

}

Reply Children