Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
WinGrid Loses Keyboard Access After The Escape Key Is Pressed Three Times
posted

Recently during testing on a winGrid that is attached to a winForm that is nested as a smartPart in another winForm, I found that when I pressed escape three times while in an AddNew row in the grid the grid lost focus for any futher keyboard entry or navigation.  The first two escape key presses were handled as expected but on the third one, the winGrid loses focus and activation and unless it is re-established by selecting it with the mouse, keyboard entry is unavailable.

Can someone give me a hint on what is happening when the escape key is pressed three times consecutively in the AddNew row?

I resolved the problem by adding some code to the "AfterRowCancelUpdate" event to put focus back to the previous row.  I am surprised that the winGrid did not do that by default.  Did I perhaps set a property incorrectly that caused this behavior?

Thank you in advance for the help.

posted
    You've posted this in the Private Beta for Windows Forms.

If this is really about the public version of WinGrid you may want to repost this here: http://forums.labs.infragistics.com/forums/65.aspx

in the public WinGrid forum.

Hope this helped.

nntp://forums.infragistics.com/private_betas.windows_forms/

I put some code in the "AfterRowCancelUpdate" event to put focus back to the previous row which solved the escape problem in the AddNew row. I am surprised that the winGrid did not do that by default.

It also has mysteriously stopped losing focus capability when the escape key is pressed three or more times consecutively in other parts of the winGrid. I did nothing codewise to alter that.

http://forums.infragistics.com/forums/p/1274/11889.aspx#11889

[private_betas.windows_forms]
    posted

I put some code in the "AfterRowCancelUpdate" event to put focus back to the previous row which solved the escape problem in the AddNew row.  I am surprised that the winGrid did not do that by default. 

It also has mysteriously stopped losing focus capability when the escape key is pressed three or more times consecutively in other parts of the winGrid.  I did nothing codewise to alter that.

posted

During testing on a winGrid that is attached to a winForm that is nested as a smartPart in another winForm, I found that when I press escape three times while in a dropdown list or in a new row in the grid, the escape key is handled as expected for the first two key presses but on the third one, the winGrid loses focus and I don't know what control has it at that point.  There are six controls on the parent winForm and when I press the tab key focus cycles through all those controls, but it will not come back to the winGrid.  Before pressing the escape key three times, tabbing will cycle through the six controls, into the winGrid and back to the six controls all day long.  It is just when the escape key is pressed the third time that the winGrid refuses to activate from then on.  If I use the mouse and click anywhere on the winGrid it will resume responding as expected until I once again press the escape key three times in succession.

Can someone give me a hint on what is happening when the escape key is pressed three times consecutively?  Is the winGrid being set to a changeable state that prevents activation?

I suppose I could count the number of times the key is pressed and present a warning message like, "if you press that darn key again you'll be sorry" but you know that will just encourage them to do it. -- (small bit of humor)

Thank you in advance for the help.