Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Custom Appointment Form vs. Changing Infragistics' Form
posted

Hello -

I have a need to add 1-3 custom fields to each appointment.  I've seen folks reference two possible options.  I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these options and can give any insight/advice.  Specifically I'm wondering about the UI side of things (this post explains the data side pretty well http://news.infragistics.com/forums/t/7683.aspx)

1) Custom Appointment Form: It sounds possible to write my own appointment form, and cancel the Infragistics dialog and open my own.  My question is, how much work is it to plug into the infragistics recurrence workflow (recurrence form, Occurrence/Series dialog etc.)?  Can the infragistics Recurrence form and Occurrence/Series dialog be reused with my custom Appt form?  Are there any other complications to get the proper events to fire (AddActivity, AddRecurrence, AddVariance, UpdateActivity, etc.)?  Is it worth going to this trouble for 1-3 custom fields? 

2) Change the Infragistics Form:  I've seen a few posts that recommend sending data from the DB to hidden fields or javascript objects on the page.  When the dialog opens, send the custom info to the existing Infragistics page using the FieldValues javascript object.  Then customize the existing page/control with custom fields and consume the dialog's save event to send the custom info as hidden input.  Finally consume the ActivityAdded and ActivityUpdated events to send the custom info to the DB.  This seems like a lot of work too, but I don't know if it's appropriate for minor customizations.  It would be nice if this solution was cleaner too.

Any Thoughts/Advice?  Are there other options that I haven't listed?

Parents
No Data
    Offline posted
    Hi, I'd personally choose option 2. It's not really that much more work and would be a lot simpler than rewriting the entire Add Appointment Form. And you'd still have to send down your data and retrieve it the same way as option 2 suggests. I apologize for not having a cleaner approach for doing such a task. Hopefully in the future we'll be able to add a simpler way to pass custom appointment data between the client and server. If you have any problems while taking this approach, please feel free to respond to this thread. -SteveZ
Children