Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
UI Automation
posted

Microsoft UI Automation is the new accessibility framework for Microsoft Windows, available on all operating systems that support Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF). see - http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms747327.aspx

I was hoping that xamRibbon will fully support this so that the if we decide to use this in our application then we automatically have an accessible application. However I have noticed that this currently isn't the case. e.g.  ButtonTool items aren't accessible but RadioButtonTool are. I had hoped that using the AutomationProperties as extension properties (in xaml) to the control will suface into the UI, but they don't Surprise.

Is there anything I can do to make this work from my end? Will the release version fully support UI Automation?

I would be happy to provide further details and examples. If you require them, please let me know.

Parents
    Offline posted

Hello Hirani -

Thanks for your post.  You are correct that we do not have support for WPF's UI Automation in the Preview build of the XamRibbon.  At this point it appears that UIAutomation support will not make it into the final release.  We are familiar with how UI Automation works - in fact the XamDataGrid, XamDataCarousel and XamCarouselListBox (all released as part of NA for WPF 7.1) all have support for UIAutomation. 

We recognize that this is important framework functionality that developers will expect all WPF components to support, but unfortunately we are not able to squeeze this development task into the 7.2 schedule.  After much discussion we've made the decision to release the XamRibbon without UI automation support, and add this support in a follow-on hotfix or release.

I hope this helps.

JoeM

Offline posted in reply to Joe Modica
    Complete.

Hello Hirani -

Thanks for your post.  You are correct that we do not have support for WPF's UI Automation in the Preview build of the XamRibbon.  At this point it appears that UIAutomation support will not make it into the final release.  We are familiar with how UI Automation works - in fact the XamDataGrid, XamDataCarousel and XamCarouselListBox (all released as part of NA for WPF 7.1) all have support for UIAutomation. 

We recognize that this is important framework functionality that developers will expect all WPF components to support, but unfortunately we are not able to squeeze this development task into the 7.2 schedule.  After much discussion we've made the decision to release the XamRibbon without UI automation support, and add this support in a follow-on hotfix or release.

I hope this helps.

JoeM

http://forums.infragistics.com/forums/p/832/10776.aspx#10776

Reply Children