Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Load only a part of the layout?
posted

Hi,

I am currently using the free AvalonDock component for the docking functionalities of my application, but encountered a hard to fix issue in regard to the layout save and restore functionality, so I was wondering if your component might be a suitable replacement.

In my application, I have a document area plus dockable and floatable content. Each document is of a specific type, which requires certain windows (dockable and floatable content) to be displayed near the document area. So whenever the user selects a different tab, I need to load a specific window layout.

So when loading and saving layouts, I'd like to exclude the document area from modifications. I only want to re-arrange the windows around the document area, the document area itself should keep the same tabs. AvalonDock can be used to have this behaviour (with minor modifications), but it has the issue that it generates a new "root layout object" when restoring the layout which then replaces the old object in the logical tree. This is a highly expensive operation (http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/tomershamam/archive/2009/09/11/wpf-performance-sweets-contentcontrol-content-null.aspx), since some of the documents in my application have a rather large logical tree (also including an XamGrid for example). So if I load the layout on a tab change, it can take more than a second to finish loading the layout (does not sound much, but for a simple tab change this is clearly too much).

Would your control suffer from the same issue? Loading only a part of the layout could solve the issue, as well as not replacing the logical tree.

Parents Reply Children
No Data