Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Free text column with autocomplete functionallity
posted

A user has asked for excel like autocomplete in a grid in one of our screens. Basically, if she's type "Some really long string" into a particular column, and starts typing the same things into another cell in the same column, she'd like it to offer the original string for autocompletion. I notice that there's an autocompletemode option on the column object already, but when I tried using this to implement what she wanted, it didn't appear to do anything.

For my test I created a simple class with a couple of string properties, and set it to the datasource for the grid. I left all wizard settings untouched until I got to the columns screen. In there I enabled a different autocompletemode for each column (to compare the difference), and at runtime set the datasource to be a list of 5 of these objects. I then typed some text into the first row, tabbed to the second row, and started typing the same text into each column. I didn't get any autocompletion.

Have I misunderstood how this works for a free text column in an ultragrid?

Kev

Verified Answer
    Offline posted

Hi Kev,

AutoCompleteMode only applies to a column with a ValueList attached to it. The ValueList provides the list of possible values for that column. So the user can type into the column or drop down the list and pick one.

So you could add an empty ValueList to your column and then populate it with existing values from the cells that have values. And then AutoCompleteMode would work you expect.