Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Swap out the Groups in a Ribbon's Tabs
posted

Hello, I'm trying to create a winform project modeled somewhat on Outlook 2010.

Control revolves around a Ribbon, which has a same set of tabs as I swap my Form's 'Mode', similar to how you swap between 'Contacts' or 'Inbox' modes in Outlook.

The problem is I can't seem to be able to effectively emulate the way Outlook can keep the tabs, but completely re-populate the Groups & Buttons within them e.g. 'New Email' vs 'New Contact'.

I'm trying to do this in a maintenance-friendly way which means I don't want to have to put all sorts of similarly-named groups into the same tab then show & hide them by code; I want to be able to look at them in VS and see them somehow as separate sets of tabs that I can work on individually.

Currently my best effort was to create as many sets of toolbars as there are modes in my Form, design them individually, then swap them out as the Form's Ribbon (i.e. changing their 'DockWithinContainer'), but the ribbon will refresh jarringly when I do this.

Is there any other way to do this?

Suggested Answer
    Offline posted

Hello,

I will be happy to assist you with your questions.

I recommend setting up your project to take advantage of an MDI environment to toggle between Form "Modes". To demonstrate what you can do with an MDI environment, please download and run attached sample. When running the sample, you will notice two buttons on the top right hand of the form. Toggle between these buttons to toggle between form modes.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this matter.

RibbinMDIEnvironment.zip