Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Ultragrid not displaying data
posted

I have a grid on a form that is displaying records in table related to the form. To add a new record to this table, I display a popup form that inserts the new row, then call the method to refresh the grid (bind it to the new datasource) - code below:

Private Sub LoadActivity(ByVal ActiveLoadID As Integer)

Try

Dim UGActivity as UltraGrid

Dim m_LoadAct As New DataContext

Dim m_Activity = (From t In m_LoadAct.LoadActivities

Where t.LoadID = ActiveLoadID

Order By t.LastUpdated Descending

Select t.LoadActivityID, t.Carrier.CarrierName, t.ContactName,   t.ContactPhone, t.Price, t.Notes, t.LastUpdated)

UGActivity.DataSource = m_Activity

m_LoadAct.Dispose()

End Try

End Sub

This gets called when the form first loads and it works fine.  When I add a new entry, I popup the form, add the row, then call this same method.  When I do, the grid does not change.  When I debug and step through, I see that the m_Activity datasource has the new row and after the UGActivity.Datasource = m_Activity line I see that the UGActivity grid has the new row in it, but still, the grid on the screen does not change.  If I put a button on the form to call the above method, it refreshes just fine.  What am I missing?  There are 2 other grids on this form that are populated through this same/similar process and work just fine.  What am I missing?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jacob

posted

1. Why are you disposing your DC ? All changes in the grid will be stored in the DC until you fire the DC.SubmitChanges()-Event

(Please correct me if I'm wrong)

2. When are your savin your changes back to the DB ? -> SubmitChanges

3. I never added and tried to change data in a grid without a Bindingsource. Don't know if this may be the problem.

I would suggest you this way:

private m_LoadAct As New DataContext

Private Sub LoadActivity(ByVal ActiveLoadID As Integer)

Try

Dim m_Activity = (From t In m_LoadAct.LoadActivities

Where t.LoadID = ActiveLoadID

Order By t.LastUpdated Descending

Select t.LoadActivityID, t.Carrier.CarrierName, t.ContactName,   t.ContactPhone, t.Price, t.Notes, t.LastUpdated)

UGActivity.DataSource = m_Activity

catch ex as exception

'todo: Exceptionhandling

End Try

End Sub

private sub saveChanges 'Call it whenever you want to save the changes

try

m_LoadAc.submitChanges()    'you can also check for pendingChanges here

catch ex as exception

'todo: Exceptionhandling

End Try

End Sub