Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Looking for a creative way to display child band records on a parent cell mouseover or other event\action
posted

Space is tight as we have multiple grids, splitters, etc. on our winform, so it has become cumbersome for our users to have to expand and scroll to view all child records, of which the count is very small (~4 to 12 records on average).  So I am looking for a creative solution where the user can mouse over a cell on the parent record and have a pop-up containing the child records.  I have not tried leveraging tooltips, but a tooltip's native behavior where it shows up and goes away on its own is an excellent example of what we are trying to accomplish.  Has anyone had a similar need and employed a creative solution they can share?

Best regards, Jaime

Offline posted

Hi Jaime,

It seems to me that all you really need is a Form with another WinGrid on it and you could trap the MouseEnterElement and MouseLeaveElement events of the grid and show/hide this form.

The tooltip window shown by the grid and the UltraToolTipmanager is in fact, a Form. But it's pretty tough to duplicate all of the things a tooltip does. There are some simple things it does like use this.SetStyle to prevent itself from being selected.

But it is s also sub-classed so that it closes itself whenever it gets activated or it receives a mouse message, among other things. And I beleive it uses a MessageFilter, as well. So you probably don't want to go down that road.