Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Real-Time Functions
posted

Hi All,

I'm looking at implementing support for real-time functions in an application e.g. a function that takes a market index and returns the latest value for that index, from Bloomberg or simillar. This function could then be applied to a new column in a grid to give real-time values for the corresponding market index (from another column in the grid).

Writing a custom CalcFunction to get the latest price wouldn't be a problem. But is there a way to allow the function to effectively broadcast a new value for a cell when the value for that index changes?

One idea I have is to make use of the dirty flag for each formula provider in the CalcManager and extend the CalcFunction class. My thinking is I could achieve my the desired affect by having the extended CalcFunction react to the new information available and flag any formula providers that use this function as dirty - causing the CalcManager to refresh the values.

So my questions are:

1. Is there a nice way to achieve this?
  2. If there isn't a nice way, does my solution sound plausible?

Any help will, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard