Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Custom Summaries Performance
posted

We've got a grid with custom summaries applied to 6 columns, twice per column, making 12 custom summaries. Two summaries per column creates the two rows - we did this because alternating rows contain data for which we want separate totals.

With just 400 rows, the grid is very slow to calculate the values for the 2 summary rows.

I noticed the grid is totaling one summary to the end and then another summary to the end instead of calling all the custom summary class aggregate methods for one row and then all the aggregate methods for the next row.  Is this why performance is poor - because of the multiple loops through the grid, one for each custom summary? (That makes 12 loops for this grid setup.)

Is there another, better way to approach this on our part?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline posted

Hi Bill, 

How do you know that the summary calculations are slow? What are you basing this on? What exactly is slowing down?

Looping through 400 rows in the grid should be nearly instantaneous, so I can't see why this would be a problem, even if it is doing it 12 times.

I'm afraid without seeing it in action, I can't really guess why it's slow. Perhaps some of the code in your custom summary calculator could be made more efficient. Could you post a small sample project so I can check take a look?