Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
NA 2008 Vol 1: NullReferenceException DockManager and Steema TeeChart
posted

Good Day,

I'm using Visual Studio 2005 with C# in a scientific application with Infragistics NetAdvantage 2008 Volume 1 (Front-End) and Steema TeeChart.NET 3.0 (Graphs and Diagrams) third party software (fully licensed).

After much trial and error we've standarized on a specific front-end design for this specific type of business, which relies heavily on the UltraDockManager and UltraToolbarsManager controls and forms the critical part of the design. During the placement of the UltraToolbarsManager on the Form, a "Fill_Panel" is created which will contain other controls. One of these controls is a tChart control from Steema TeeChart.NET.

If the tChart control is placed within the boundary of the "Fill_Panel" without docking, the application behaves normal and correct when the Form is closed.

If the tChart control is placed within the boundary of the "Fill_Panel" with Dock set to Fill or any of the other options, the application produces a "A first chance exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in TeeChart.dll", when the Form is closed.

As I don't know with which control the problem is, I'm sending this request for both Infragistics and Steema. I need help in figuring out if the problem is with the TeeChart control or with the Infragistics controls. I cannot emphasize the importance of these controls working together. Our whole solution depends on this one critical situation.

When the application is executed by running the exe outside VStudio, there doesn't seem to be a problem, but I need to be sure.

This was not a problem when we used Steema TeeChart.NET 1.1 and Infragistics NetAdvantage 2006 Volume 3.

Please indicate how I can send you a test application.

Regards,

Verified Answer
    posted

You can submit a bug to the support group along with a sample here: http://es.infragistics.com/gethelp.

However, I don't believe there is any problem. A first chance exception is Visual Studio showing you exceptions that may or may not be caught by a catch block somewhere up the call stack. If you continue the run of the application after the first chance exception occurs and you do not receive and unhandled exception, I don't think there is anything to worry about. You can also turn off first-chance exceptions in Visual Studio by going to the Exceptions... dialog (in the Debug menu; the default keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+Alt+E). In this dialog, you can uncheck the box for "Common Language Runtime Exceptions" in the "Thrown" column (or you can turn off first chance exceptions for individual exception types by expanding the node in the tree).