Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
UltraGrid does not appear on form
posted

Hi,

I'm trying to add an UltraGrid onto a new form in an existing project but I'm experiecing strange behaviour...

UltraGrid1 appears as a control at the bottom of the form (in the area where the you'd expect to see the ToolStrip or BindSource controls).  Nothing is actually displayed on the form itself.

The Designer code that is created looks like this...

Private Sub InitializeComponent()
Me.UltraGrid1 = New Infragistics.Win.UltraWinGrid.UltraGrid
CType(Me.UltraGrid1, System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize).BeginInit()Me.SuspendLayout()
'
'UltraGrid1
'
Me.UltraGrid1.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(0, 0)
Me.UltraGrid1.Name = "UltraGrid1"
Me.UltraGrid1.TabIndex = 0
'
'Form1
'
Me.AutoScaleDimensions = New System.Drawing.SizeF(6.0!, 13.0!)
Me.AutoScaleMode = System.Windows.Forms.AutoScaleMode.Font
Me.ClientSize = New System.Drawing.Size(284, 262)
Me.Name = "Form1"
Me.Text = "Form1"
CType(Me.UltraGrid1, System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize).EndInit()
Me.ResumeLayout(False)
End Sub

Friend WithEvents UltraGrid1 As Infragistics.Win.UltraWinGrid.UltraGrid

Initially it just looked as though the designer was missing the line..
Me.Controls.Add(Me.UltraGrid1)
However, when this line is added, the grid appears on the form but cannot be selected at all.  When right clicking there's no option for the UltraGrid designer / Layout wizard etc)

I'm currently using Version 8.3.20083.2102.

To confuse matters further, if I create a new project and add a new form, all works fine and would imply that this issue is specific to this project.  Other colleagues working on the same project do not have this problem.

I would be grateful if anyone could offer any assistance.

Thanks Paul

Offline posted

When the grid appears as a component in the system tray instead of as a control on the form, it indicates that Visual Studio is unable to find the grid's designer.

This can happen if your project contains mixed references of the assemblies. So checking the project references and the licx file is a good idea.

If your solution has multiple projects, be sure to check all of them and make sure they all reference the same versions of the Infragistics assemblies.

Also, check the Assembly folder on your machine and make sure that the Infragistics2.Win.Design assembly exists for the same version as the grid assembly you are using. If it's not there, then something went wrong with the installation.

Also make sure that the design assembly is NOT references by any of the project in your solution. This file should only exists in the GAC, and you should never reference it directly from a project.

posted

Actually back when this version was current I had a similar problem. For me I had to close out form I was editing in the Designer view, and open up the file called "licenses.licx" that you will find inside the properties folder in the solution explorer. If you see any duplicate lines that are trying to reference the same assembly, delete the duplicate line. Once you have that taken care of, save the file, rebuild, and then try opening your form in design view again.

Offline posted

Hello,

It seems to me that you are not pointing to the correct assembiles in your case and that's why the UltraGrid is not shown at design time.

Probably you are pointing to some assemblies that are not in the GAC and that's why you are not able to get the designer. What you could do is to set "Specific Version"  of the Infragistics assemblies to False and "clean" and "rebuild" the application after that open the designer and verify if the UltraGrid appears after that.

Please let me know if you need any other assistance.