Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
New Row Grouping Feature...
posted

It looks like this feature is similiar to pivoting by a column (say date column) in a datatable.

My question is does anyone know how this works? I ask because I implement by own pivoting funcion, but my returned datatable cannot have the key in it of what is getting pivoted because it prevents the pivot. 

i.e. I can't include DateID if I pivot by date

Primary ID     DateId         Date          Country       PopulationName

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1                         33          1/1/2007      US              Population 1

2                         33          1/1/2007      US              Population 2

Since the grid is editable and users can change values I have to use the date column name to lookup the date id so I can pass that to the stored procedure to update the database.

Does the Row Grouping handle this automatically (a way to link date to Date ID and remember it) Or would I still need to drop the dateId field to properly pivot and have my own lookup table?

Ideally it would be nice to have the normalized datatable binded to the grid and then allow it to be pivoted while keep track of Id fields that are need for crud transactions.  My entire application needs pivoting since I am dealing with timelines and users like to see those horizontal.  This suks because the database is obviously normalized and not pivoted and I can't use VS out of the box datasets / table adapter manager. Dam users.