Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Refresh DataSource Schema?
posted

I've bound to an entity/class in order to establish the schema for the grid - and this works a LOT better than manually defining a schema from a "saves time" perspective. Only now I've added a new property to one of the underlying entity/collections and I don't see any way to get the Designer to "refresh" to reflect these new columns.

I've been hesitant to just remove it, save, then re-add it because that will lose all the properties I've set on existing columns right? Is there some other way to have it requery the underlying entities to capture the new columns that need to be added? And if not, what is the best practice (other than make sure you have everything before you start ;-) ) in dealing with these types of changes.

Thanks,
~Chris

Verified Answer
    posted

I found my problem. My project with a satellite assembly with a fixed version number (due to installing it in the GAC) 1.0.0.0. So when I added the new fields and recompiled, the UI project didn't "see" the change because the version number didn't increment. After changing the assembly version to 1.0.0.1 and recompiling, the UI project found the new fields.

Thanks,
    ~Chris

Offline posted

It sounds to me like your data source is not notifying the grid that the schema has changed. Using a BindingSource might help, since the BindingSource should theoretically take care of this notification. But I can't be sure it will work. 

Another option might be to save the grid's Layout to a file. Then you can reset the layout and then re-load it from the saved file. This should re-load all of the settings for the existing columns, but have no effect on the new column. 

Offline posted

Do you use a BindingSource? I use it and the way to create the column is to build your project and reopen the designer. If it doesn't work, run your application. After that I always see the new column.