Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Typing In DropDownList
posted

I have an UltraGrid with a couple columns. The first column has a dropdownlist in it. The list has values A,B,C,D. When I tab intot he cell and hit A the value appears. When I hit D the value appears. Then when I hit A again nothing happens. Then if I hit enough buttons it will eventually change again. However, the only time I can garuntee a result is when I first tab into a cell and hit the first key stroke for a value. Any ideas? I am usig the CellChange to capture the event. Of course when I attach the debugger it works every time, most likely because I have to keep switching over to VS then back to my application.

Any additional finding. If I hit A,B,A,B quickly like normal typing nothing happens. If I hit A then wait 5 seconds then hit B it works. I do not have any timers running on the form but do I maybe need to deactivate or tell the cell to accept the updates?

Verified Answer
    Offline posted

If the style of the column is set to DropDownList, then the search behavior of the dropdown will act much the same as Windows Explorer does.

So when you type an "A", it finds the first item on the list that starts with "A". If you then type a "B", it searches for an item that starts with "AB". In your case, there is no such item, so nothing happens. If you wait a few seconds, then the buffer will be cleared and you can start again. 

I think you can switch to a different mode of searching where it only uses the first letter. But it depends what version of the grid you are using. If you have the latest version, then the you probably need to check out the AutoCompleteMode property. For an older version, try setting AutoEdit to false.