Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
How to set the icon of a file in listview without accessing the file
posted

Hello-

I am using the ultraListView to display a list of files along with some other information. I purchased the Infragistics training and went through the tutorials about how to set the icon of the file in the listview by using SHGetFileInfo and that works great. However, I have one problem. In my application, the file list that I am concerned with is stored in a database. So, the user does not have direct access to the file (the files are in a zip archive on the folder, when the user clicks I am extracting that particular file from the zip on the server (for speed issues over VPN). 

So, my question is, is it possible to get the icon associated with a particular file extension without having direct access to that file and performing that SHGetFileInfo call? 

TIA!!

Parents
No Data
    Offline posted

Yes, there is. I don't know how you got the file icon, but that's what I did to get the file extension icon:

public static System.Drawing.Icon GetFileTypeIcon(

string extension,

EnumIconSize size,bool addLinkOverlay)

{

EnumFileInfoFlags flags =

EnumFileInfoFlags.ICON | EnumFileInfoFlags.USEFILEATTRIBUTES;

// add link overlay if requested

if (addLinkOverlay)

{

flags |=
    EnumFileInfoFlags.LINKOVERLAY;

}

// set size

if (size == EnumIconSize.Small)

{

flags |=
    EnumFileInfoFlags.SMALLICON;

}

else

{

flags |=
    EnumFileInfoFlags.LARGEICON;

}

string fileType = "*." + extension;ShellFileInfo shellFileInfo = new ShellFileInfo();

SHGetFileInfo(

fileType,

conFILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL,

ref shellFileInfo,

(uint)System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.SizeOf(shellFileInfo),

(uint)flags);

// deep copy

System.Drawing.Icon icon =

(System.Drawing.Icon)System.Drawing.Icon.FromHandle(shellFileInfo.hIcon).Clone();

// release handle

DestroyIcon(shellFileInfo.hIcon);

return icon;

}

Children
No Data