Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Design help / Advice
posted

I have a request to implement a webDropdown so that it functions like the bing.com website.  We have a repository of serial numbers to search.  I'm not doing the actual coding but I need to get the programmer as much info as possible so that the requirements can actually be met.

I have three major starting points of which the first two are easy.

1 - I've decided to pre-populate the dropdown with a list of prior searches and MRU numbers.  That should appease anyone re-doing the same search.

2 - At anypoint that the user hits the search or enter button whatever they have typed it will be searched and results shown.

3 - this is where the user wants fancy.  They want the auto-complete/auto-fill to really kick in on their potential search term and essentially do as they type typing.  Much of the time the pre-populated data won't be what they want so after a few input characters it should mostly be filtered away.

However I don't want to start actually auto-searching for anything against the database until I had at least 3 or 4 characters entered (excluding wildcards).  The first actual search term against the DB will take their '123' and do a search on '123%'.  If they start doing a contains search '%123' then all bets are off and I think we'll disable the auto-filter results until after a search results page has been generated.

I need to have some further chats, and get a prototype in place before the users can get a real sense of how much lag time there is but what I want to avoid is if a user quickly types 7 characters and then pauses that I do a search after 3 characters and waste time.  I had planned on using the Client side keyDown or related events to count the number of input characters and then on 3 call my data load.  If you go to bing or google and type really fast then the dropdown doesn't offer any choices.  I want to simulate that.  Is there a way to setup a timer to catch a time lag of x milliseconds between keypresses as sufficient time to do an async search?

Are there any pitfalls / issues to worry about with trying to change the contents of the binded datasource after x keypresses?  I'm sort of assuming I set it up as LoadOnDemand + SearchFilter.  Then each keypress should trigger a check on the server which should find a new set of data and rebind?

Is my best example to try and simulate one of the chained dropdown lists?

thanks

jack

Parents Reply Children
No Data