Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Re: Finding Document Engine topics in the Help
posted

I know I've been trying to find decent documentation on the Document Exporter recently.

I looked at the Features Browser at: http://samples.infragistics.com/2007.3/webfeaturebrowser/default.htm

There was an example how you can export a single grid to PDF. Useful, but not what I wanted.

I wanted to export grids AND charts. So, the next link I find is the Document Exporter control summary at: http://es.infragistics.com/dotnet/netadvantage/aspnet/webgriddocumentexporter.aspx

On this page, there is a video demonstrating how the control work. Great! I watch it. Lets see..... There's a sample grid, some examples of exporting to Excel, PDF, and XPS....... Some code that shows how simple it is. Nice.....  Now, I see someone demonstrating how you can add charts and graphics to an export. There's even a pretty example of what it can look like. That's what I was looking for......  WHAT? No code samples? What gives?!? They tell you that there is a object model to do those kind of things. I've read it. Without decent examples, it's difficult to follow.

It seems all the controls described on this site are 100% Show Off, 50% Show How. I get about half the knowledge I need to get things to work and have to waste time figuring out the rest. I don't think it's just me. I'm one of five programmers on a team here and we all got question marks floating over our heads on these.

BTW, I found the Web Showcase on the site which is where the chart export PDF was demonstrated from. There are no source code samples online. So, I dig through anything and everything I've installed on my local computer from Infragistics. I finally find the Web Showcase code. Now, let me preface this with the fact that we are a VB shop here. We don't care for C#, nor do we see any great advantage to using it. So why is the only code example for chart export in PDF in a C# project? This means more work on my part to translate code in order to use the features on a package in which good money was spent. I doubt any great insight can be derived from the source code, either.