Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Use XML for Load on Demand - Manual?
posted

Hi,

I am using load on demand - manual method to load rows of inner band in a heirarchial web grid. At the moment it does a post back everytime I expand a row to load the child rows and have used an update panel to make this an AJAX call.

But I would like to improve the performance further to this. As I can see when I use load on demand - automatic, the grid populates the inner rows by using XML when a row is expanded and only the inner rows are passed back to the client as response which makes it more efficient than load on demand - manual as in manual the entire grid html would have passed back in the response.

Is it possible to use XML and pass only the requested child rows when using Load on demand - manual feature?

The reason I am using Load on demand - manual as opposed to load on demand - automatic is because I do not need have my dataset with relations and I cannot determine the relations or related records before in hand.

Would highly appreciate any guidance\help on this.

Many Thanks

Ponnu

posted

You can't use the built-in AJAX functionality of WebGrid in conjunction with manual load-on-demand - or with automatic load-on-demand either.  To turn on the AJAX functionality of the grid means setting its DisplayLayout.LoadOnDemand property Xml, not to Manual or Automatic, so these features are mutually exclusive.

One alternative is what you're already doing - putting the grid in an UpdatePanel or WARP to provide AJAX functionality.

You might instead be able to use the AJAX functionality of the grid and set the XmlLoadOnDemandType to a value such as Accumulative.  However, I don't know if this will work with the data you have available, since you don't know about the relations or related records at the initial render time.