Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Mac Developer - just wants a nice web based grid control.
posted

Sorry if I'm not up to speed on this product. I was hopping someone could just answer a few noob questions for me.  First I noticed that even though the "trial download" includes a link for "non-windows" users. The zip file downloaded contains an EXE (presumably to fetch the actual demo software).  I like to work from that OS designed in Cupertino.  I figured a pure HTML5 / jQuery Grid control would lend itself well to a non-windows environment.  I have some experience with jQuery controls in a simple web app. They can add some nice functionality with minimal effort.  My other point of concern is the "we host the controls for you" = no software on your end, type deal.  Does that mean that I couldn't use these controls on a private intranet? For "configuration" I can see where I would have access to the Ignite UI site and associated links… but placing something onto a production server on a private network doesn't sound like something I can do.  I've also used XOJO with wrappers around jQuery controls to provide integration between jQuery events and the XOJO framework.  Would this be possible?

I'm concerned that if I can't even download the demo on a Mac, how can I possibly expect really utilize the control in a "non traditional" development environment.  They say you can use the control with strait HTML and edit the code with Notepad+  , surely I could edit the code with the myriad of smaller web development platforms for the Mac?

Parents
No Data
    Verified Answer
    posted

Hi Rob,

Robert Bednar said:
    he zip file downloaded contains an EXE (presumably to fetch the actual demo software).

I presume you have clicked on either the "Ignite UI 2013 Vol.2 Platform Installer" or the "Ignite UI 2013 Vol.2 Complete Bundle". 
    What I think you need is the "Ignite UI 2013 Vol.2 Complete Bundle (No Installer)".

The exe file you speak of is most probably our Platform Installer which provides a rich and guided installation experience. 
    The "No Installer" item only contains the product files so it's ideal for developers using non-Windows OSes. 

Robert Bednar said:
    My other point of concern is the "we host the controls for you" = no software on your end, type deal.

By that statement we mean that we provide a CDN from which you can reference all of the Ignite UI controls' files. So we are simply providing an alternative to hosting the controls' files locally. There are numerous benefits to using a CDN as different people have pointed out here, here and here (and Wikipedia's definition lists those benefits as well).
    So if you are working on an intranet website/app, you will not be able to utilize the benefits of a CDN, but you still get to host our controls just like any other set of CSS and JS files :). 

Robert Bednar said:
    I've also used XOJO with wrappers around jQuery controls to provide integration between jQuery events and the XOJO framework.  Would this be possible?
    XOJO looks like a nice product and you will definitely be able to use our controls in the studio. If you were able to use regular jQuery/jQuery UI controls, then I presume you will have no problems utilizing Ignite UI controls as well, seeing as how they follow the jQuery UI widget factory architecture
    However, XOJO is not on our list of priorities at the moment (it's a relatively new and small in terms of developers using it and overall market share) so I cannot promise you wrappers for our controls any time soon.
    With that said, you do have the carte blanche to create such wrappers yourself and use them for your projects.

Robert Bednar said:
    They say you can use the control with strait HTML and edit the code with Notepad+  , surely I could edit the code with the myriad of smaller web development platforms for the Mac?
    You are probably dissuaded by the fact that our samples are distributed via an MSI installer which cannot be used on a Mac (unless you are willing to jump through a few hoops). 
    When you do install the samples however, you will see that most of them are ordinary HTML files so as long as you fire up a web server to host them, you can play around with them as much as you like.

HOWEVER, there is yet one more solution for people who don't want to deal with the hassle of installing the samples locally! 

1. Open up any sample from the official Ignite UI site, say http://igniteui.com/grid/grouping
      2. Click on the "Show in JsFiddle button"
      3. WHAM! You've got an editable sample to play around with in jsFiddle.

There are only a handful of samples which do not have this feature, but they are .NET-specific so having a fiddle for them is not possible.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Cheers!
    Bobby 

Children
No Data