Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Installation Size - Copying 2GB of installers to C:?
posted

Hi there,

I\ve just taken a trial of Ultimate 12.1 and was surprised when my C: drive decided to fill up to 99.23%. Yes it is relatively full but this was unexpected. Please note C: D: and E are all SSD.

I downloaded the whole package to D: and extracted the ZIP file to E: where I was pleased to see all the setup MSIs etc.

I executed NetAdvantage_Ultimate_20121.exe and selected the packages I wanted to install, everything except Windows Phone.

What I found when trying to find out what happened to C: was (using WINDIRSTAT) the Ultimate Installer copies the MSIs from (in this case) E:. The path the files are installed to is C:\ProgramData\Infragistics\12.1

I suppose my question is why is it necessary to copy 2GB of MSI installers to this path and leave them there?

Thanks and regards

Parents
No Data
    posted

Hello,

Windows Installer can require the original installation source while performing updates, repairs, and modifications to a product.  If Windows Installer isn't able to resolve the installation source, then errors will occur.  In order to prevent those errors, the installer file is cached to that location.  That way, even if you deleted or moved the MSI files, in this case from the E: drive, Windows Installer can resolve the source and perform whatever action is required.

If those files are deleted, there will be no effect on your day to day usage of the NetAdvantage product.  They are there to prevent the Windows Installers issues while maintaining the product mentioned earlier.

Children
No Data